Author Topic: Local Support Groups  (Read 30364 times)

Christine

• Reason for joining: Patient
  • Diagnosed: November 2011
Re: Local Support Groups
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2015, 11:46:45 am »
I live in South Tyneside, within easy reach of Newcastle, and I'd be very interested in a local support group.

georgeturner

• Reason for joining: Patient Familial ATTR amyloidosis
  • Diagnosed: 13 May 2014
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2015, 03:06:01 pm »
Hello Christine,

It can be quite difficult finding people in your area to start a support group. We have recently had the first meeting of the Scotland Support Group. We have only four people interested in meeting at the moment from Ayr, Kilmarnock, Dunfermline and Glasgow. We try to meet at a convenient location for everyone. It's a bit far away for you, but if you are interested in joining us, you would be very welcome, just post or email me.
I don't know if you have AL amyloidosis, but a couple of us went to the Myeloma UK meeting in Glasgow and we were made very welcome. As AL amyloidosis is treated similarly to myeloma, they welcome anyone affected by AL amyloidosis. So another alternative for you would be to go to one of their meetings. You might meet some others there. There are 2 in your area, Newcastle and Teesside. For more information, just click on the map in the link below.

http://www.myeloma.org.uk/how-we-can-help/meet-others/myeloma-support-groups/find-a-support-group/
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 03:09:09 pm by georgeturner »
Slainte Mhath,
George

Maureen

• Reason for joining: Hereditary Amyloidosis Patient
  • Diagnosed: August 2008
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2015, 04:10:04 pm »

Hi

My name is Maureen, I live in a small village in Argyllshire
I was diagnosed with Hereditary Amyloidosis in 2008.
I would be interested in meeting up with other members of the
support group, I would manage to come to Glasgow.

Miriam Vered

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2015, 08:50:28 am »
Hi Maureen,
Welcome to the forum. Take a look at the discussion on this board titled "Scotland Support Group". They are planning the next meeting for 23 July. I'm sure they'll be very happy to meet you.

georgeturner

• Reason for joining: Patient Familial ATTR amyloidosis
  • Diagnosed: 13 May 2014
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2015, 09:45:43 pm »
Hi Maureen,
As Miriam said, we are planning to meet at the Maggie's Centre at Garnavel Hospital, Glasgow on the 23rd of July at 6:30. There are are only 4 of us in the Scotland Support Group so far and you would be most welcome to join us. Three of us are planning to be there on the 23rd and two of us are planning to meet up beforehand for a bite to eat.
I'm also trying to set up another meeting on the 14th July, time and place still to be decided, again if you are available either post or email me through the forum.
I'm just back from the NAC, so the details have still to be finalised and I'll post them when we've sorted them out. We're in Dunfermline, Ayrshire and Glasgow so trying to get a suitable time and place for everyonne is a bit difficult.
I hope you and anyone else who is interested can join us, and I look forward to meeting with you.
Slainte Mhath,
George

nvroberts

• Reason for joining: I have AL amyloidosis and frecently started kidney dialysis
  • Diagnosed: November 2014
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2016, 03:15:13 am »
I was diagnosed with AL Amyloidosis in November 2014, and have only just signed up to this forum. There is so much useful information here, and it is good to get feedback about the experiences of other patients. Local Support Groups are a great idea, but I cannot find any information about one in my area. I live in North West Leicestershire, so maybe  not too far from the Warwickshire support group.