Author Topic: My Journey with AL Amyloidosis  (Read 15953 times)

Mike Brown

• Married, 4 kids, 7 grandkids, Evertonian, golfer.
  • Reason for joining: AL Amyloidosis patient
  • Diagnosed: April 2012
My Journey with AL Amyloidosis
« on: July 25, 2015, 08:34:51 pm »
I've received encouragement, learning and inspiration from other people's posts on this forum and various Facebook pages. I've commented on various posts from time to time but I thought I should attempt to provide others, particularly those new to Amyloidosis, with some hope and encouragement by outlining my own journey.

I was diagnosed with AL Amyloidosis in April 2012 when I was 58 years old. I have liver, spleen and kidneys involvement. This followed two years of investigations, separately, by a gastroenterologist and a nephrologist into liver and kidney symptoms that my GP had referred in early 2010. So, I think it's safe to say that amyloid was forming and being deposited from at least two years before I was diagnosed. I still believe that this was a relatively quick diagnosis of a rare disease, though. It was the gastroenterologist that finally called for a liver biopsy and this was what first identified the presence of amyloid in my liver, identified by the Congo red staining of the sample. The nephrologist followed suit with a kidney biopsy (ouch!) and, sure enough, there was amyloid there, too, identified again by the Congo red staining of the sample. Within a month I was referred to the National Amyloidosis Centre in the Royal Free Hospital, London. I live in the UK near Liverpool.

How did I feel? When the gastroenterologist told me I had amyloid on my liver it went straight over my head, never heard of it! When I pushed him for prognosis and treatability he wouldn't go there. Not his field of expertise, to be fair. He'd got me a very quick referral to the experts in the NAC and I was very grateful for that. I was also grateful that he'd hit on something definite, that whatever it was that had forced me to stop playing golf because of fatigue and breathlessness now had a chance to be fixed! But I did what most people probably do when I got home from that first mention of the word amyloid, straight onto the Internet! I was sorry I did because there isn't much good news to read about this disease. Not until you get on a forum like this, anyway. I asked all the health professionals I know about Amyloidosis and a typical reaction was "Well, I've heard of it but not since medical school".

My two days in the NAC in April 2012 were arguably two of the most important and fruitful days of my life. With their suite of tests and scans, including a bone marrow biopsy and aspirate (ouch again!), they were able to confirm a diagnosis of systemic AL Amyloidosis. At this time my Lambda Free Light Chains measured 495mg/l (versus a 'normal' range of 6-26mg/l). I was put on the CTD chemotherapy treatment to reduce my Lambda FLCs and therefore stop the production of amyloid. I was on the chemo from May to October 2012. It proved successful and, once recovered from the chemo itself, I noticed how much better I felt physically. I took early retirement in November 2012 because I felt it was time to concentrate on my fitness and health. I was playing golf again in February 2013. I went on to have a fabulous 18 months of remission, despite the fact that my Lambda FLCs had started trending up again from mid 2013.

Inevitably, the FLCs reached a point last year where more chemo was required. This time the plan was for a Velcade/Dexamethasone regimen culminating in HDT/SCT. I was on the Velcade/Dex from May to August 2014 and was breezing it until the last cycle and a half, when I suffered quite severe side effects. The most serious was neuropathy in my lower limbs and from my knees down went numb. Not pleasant. However, over time that's easing off and I'm confident of a good outcome there.

My stem cells were harvested in September 2014 and I had my stem cell transplant in the Royal Liverpool Hospital on 16 April. It was a challenge for sure because melphalan is a quite brutal chemo drug. However, once 'engraftment' of my nice fresh cells happened I started improving in the way I felt and so another recovery journey started.

I've had two blood samples tested for free light chains since my SCT and I'm delighted to say that both returned results in the normal range. The outcome I'm expecting from the SCT is a much longer period of remission (years).

Today I'm celebrating my SCT Day +100 and I'm feeling good! I have been as active as possible since my SCT and am now enjoying riding my motorcycles and playing golf again. I feel lucky to have got life back to as normal as I could have reasonably expected. Even my hair and beard have started growing again!

I am a patient volunteer involved in the drug trial that has been communicated through abridged versions of the report posted on this site recently and, again, I consider myself lucky to have responded to the anti-SAP antibody that I received. More to be thankful for, more to be grateful for and hopefully this and other clinical trials that are taking place will give many more Amyloidosis patients hope in the future. It has me, I hope it has you, too.

So you can see there's good reasons for me to be celebrating Day +100 but I'll never take anything for granted.

The investments I've made in time spent during the various treatments since 2012, particularly over the past year or so, seem well worthwhile at the moment. For that I will be forever grateful to the wonderful health professionals who have cared for me at the National Amyloidosis Centre in the Royal Free Hospital in London, the team in the Bone Marrow Transplant Unit in the Royal Liverpool University Hospital, the team in the Haematology Unit of Arrowe Park Hospital, Wirral and the teams who administered the trial drug in Quintiles London and GSK in Addenbrookes Hospital, Cambridge.

The support I've had from my wife and family and friends throughout this period is second to none and I love them to bits ❤️

Thanks for taking an interest in my journey and I hope I've succeeded in providing hope and encouragement. Not just from the new drug but chemotherapy interventions worked well for me. I wish you all well.

patpinchin

• AL - extensive in skin. mouth + palatal nerves '04
Re: My Journey with AL Amyloidosis
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 11:34:26 am »
Hi Mike, so very pleased you have posted your Amyloidosis story here. You have indeed invested a lot of time on investigations and tough treatments with a very positive outcome. A joy to read and hope for all sufferers. Where would we be without our wonderful Drs locally but especially the world class experts at the NAC?  May regression of amyloid progress and your remission continue for many years to come.  :)  :)  :)
Pat

Sandra Jane

• Reason for joining: Patient with Cardiac Amyloidosis
  • Diagnosed: Feb 2014
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 08:22:30 pm »
Thank you for sharing your journey Mike. It is these stories that help me to keep positive, focussed and determined. Best wishes to you and your family :)

Helen33

• AL Amyloidosis in kidneys, bones and spleen
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 08:53:48 am »
Thank you so much for sharing your experience Mike.  It has helped me to be positive especially as I face another chemo regime
I wish you many more years of 'normal' life.
Living life with Amyloidosis

koontzkg

• Keep the faith!
  • Reason for joining: AL amyloidosis patient
  • Diagnosed: February 2013
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 05:10:50 am »
Thanks for sharing, Mike. Always good to hear of someone doing well.

Kathy

Michael

• Diagnosed: May 2015
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 09:31:57 pm »
Hi mike
Thanks for sharing your experience.
I am about to start my journey at the royal free in a few weeks time and reading your story has given me a little insight into what I may have to expect.
Thanks Spain
Mike

boxerson

• Reason for joining: Amyloid 1975
  • Diagnosed: 1975
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2015, 02:29:08 pm »
MIKE: Thank you for sharing I am so happy and blessed to be able to read someone's story who is doing so well. As you probably know I am living with amyloid for 37 years. I was told when I was 35 that I had amyloid in the muscles in nerves proven by Congo red.. At that time all they could offer was chemo of cytoxin and prednisone. I received chemo for 3 years Iv for 2 then orally for 1. It has been a long battle with all the side effects but I have managed to stay alive after I was told I would be dead in 6 months. I was then put into a hospice and after 7 months left. so God bless Mike and know prayers and good wishes are always with you.
James R Taylor

Lesley

• Reason for joining: Amyloid patient (AL)
  • Diagnosed: December 2012
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2015, 03:22:35 pm »
oh Jim - welcome to the site. When I read your story I thought I need to put this person in touch with Jim and then I realised it was you.

I am sure everyone on this site will welcome you with open arms Jim.

You are the kindest, warmest, helpful person I have the pleasure to know. As you know, you have been such a support to me on many occasions.

so happy you have found this site.

Lesley
x

boxerson

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2015, 05:01:37 pm »
Lesley you are so kind and always know I am here for you.  I can not say enough of how much you have helped through this process. I thank you so very much. You are too kind    Jim
James R Taylor

Lesley

• Reason for joining: Amyloid patient (AL)
  • Diagnosed: December 2012
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2015, 02:29:09 pm »
Hi Jim

I think our feelings are mutual.

You are an inspiration to us all but I also think people have to understand how hard it has been for you to reach the path you are on now. We are here to support each other Jim so hopefully you will gain some extra support from this site. I hope so.

No one will ever know quite how much you have helped me. We have both gone down a path which not only brought us Amyloid but also had us lose our partners. We both know fighting this disease alone is not an easy one. When I have felt there was nowhere else to turn as no one would understand the pain I were in, not only with the disease but the pure raw pain of losing my husband at the same time as my diagnosis and my complete and utter despair of not thinking straight...and you pull me back up with your straight but kind talking.

Will always be there for you Jimxx

Elliei21@me.com

• Reason for joining: A patient
  • Diagnosed: July 2010
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2015, 10:59:43 pm »
Hi Jim
Your story of survival has inspired me so much, being an amyloidosis sufferer since July 2010 and going through CTD 5 years ago and battling pnemonia at the end of it and then having three months of CVD this year and finished it in April and ended up with multi organ failure and Sepsis infection in ITU, and then with chronic kidney failure and still on kidney dialysis to this day, I'm also a survivor of this disease I'm determined Amy will not beat me I'm strong, determined and positive always.
Three weeks after being in intensive care I was on a plane to my sons wedding, I was told to be so careful and rest when I could but of course I did the opposite had the strength and danced all evening and the next day went to my dialysis abroad!!!! We all have to stay so positive to live with the illness and live for each precious moment of our lives!!!!!!! Because every moment is a very special one especially for Amyloidosis sufferers.
Yours and mikes story is the kind of stories to give new patients every confidence to fight this illness always don't be afraid is my advice with the NAC expertise and the advice of your local consultants you can overcome the symotoms and have the necessary treatment and be in remission too .
Good Luck to all amyloidosis patients past and present ones who are going through treatment now.
I have just come back from my 2 day appointment at the NAC and the SAP scan showed no further amyloid, I'm blessed as only have to cope with dialysis now which is not painful just more of an inconvenience.
Much love to u all and positive wishes always xx

boxerson

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2015, 11:08:24 pm »
Elliei: I am so proud of you and so inspired by your fight with this horrible disease. So glad you were able to attend your son's wedding and dance all night. This disease has no boundaries it effects every inch of our body from head to toe. Nothing is left untouched. We either have the effects of amyloid, the chemo or both. Like you I continue to fight but I must admit I get tired at times and am asking my God to please take me. I figure He has me here for a reason and someday I will be called home. I have neuropathy and it is horrible. The pain I get from this is the worse. I had a pain pump put in 10 years ago and it pumps morphine to my spine 24 hours a day. I also take orally dilaudid 40mgs a day. I get relief but not 100%. I have to remember though after awhile your body refuse to accept the pain med's as your pain receptors become dead. So I stopped all pain med's for 2 months  which gave my receptors a rest and then was able to go back on pain meds at a much lower dose. I also have stasis venous and dermatitis which is no fun. I thank my God that I am still able to drive so I push my walker to my car load it up and drive away. I am very lucky to have a great care giver 5 days a week. My blessing to you and your strength. Know my prayers are for all who suffer this disease. Good thoughts for you and may God bless you. Thank you again.
James R Taylor

patpinchin

• AL - extensive in skin. mouth + palatal nerves '04
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2015, 09:20:29 am »
Ellie,

Take heart with the dialysis. I have a friend in a similar position as you. She is able to dialyse at home 3/4 times per week. She has to keep to a strict dietary and fluid regime as you probably know. She is monitored by the local renal team monthly. Apart from that, she leads a very active, happy and fulfilling life. She told me home dialysis really turned things around for her. She has found activities to pass the time whilst on the machine.. several hours, but very manageable. Once you get into the routine, I hope all goes well for you.
Pat

Mike Brown

• Married, 4 kids, 7 grandkids, Evertonian, golfer.
  • Diagnosed: April 2012
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2015, 09:25:06 am »
Hey Jim, welcome to our forum. How the world of Facebook friends expands! Great to have you here. I'm sure you'll add value to the lives of many NAC patients on here, just like you do on the FB site. For those that don't know him, Jim's a real trooper who has fought this disease for 37 years. We've only 'met' virtually because he's in the USA but he's one of the kindest men on the planet  :)

boxerson

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2015, 01:38:17 pm »
Thank you again Mike your kind words again are appreciated. The knowledge and kindness you have shown me is much appreciated. I am humble by your kind words and hope I can live up to them. God bless Mike and I am proud to say you are my friend.
James R Taylor