Author Topic: Life with Amyloidosis  (Read 6186 times)

Helen33

• AL Amyloidosis in kidneys, bones and spleen
Life with Amyloidosis
« on: December 16, 2014, 07:17:30 pm »
I feel i live life fully despite Amyloidosis.  I'm not on any treatment at the moment and I think my body is rejoicing.  At one stage I could only walk five paces but now I am able to swim a mile, cycle 25 miles, paddle a canoe and do 8-10 mile walks including climbing the High Peaks.    I am much slower but I can do it!!!  I love activity and my loved ones marvel at what I am able to do.  I had plenty of muscle loss but as soon as treatment finished I was able to swim a mile within a couple of days!!  Even  I was surprised that I could recover from treatment so quickly.

I remember in the very early days saying to myself "I am not going to allow this illness to be any more than it has to be".   I also remember saying to myself "I am going to give myself the best care possible".  I had been a carer for my late husband who had a dementia and I decided I would now care for myself as well as I cared for him.

I would really like to hear what life is like for others. 
Living life with Amyloidosis

Judith

• AL Amyloid and MM June 2012
Re: Life with Amyloidosis
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 08:45:13 am »
Helen what a wonderful positive attitude. I too try to live life to the full and enjoy what I have today and try hard not to think about what i had before. I'm lucky in that I was diagnosed early and following treatment and feeling very well. I'm back at work, enjoying a very active family and social life. Doing lots of excercise, even running a 10km race in the summer.

Helen33

• AL Amyloidosis in kidneys, bones and spleen
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2014, 03:42:30 pm »
Hello Judith,

I've only just seen your post.  It is lovely to hear that you, too, are feeling well and are able to live a full and active life.  I have AL Amyloudosis as well. 
I have been given the go ahead to go to India for the whole of March 2015 and I am really looking forward to it.   I'm leaving my partner here because he doesn't retire until the November and I am going with a good friend who has been a tower of strength since my diagnosis.  We are going to Rishikesh at the foothills of the Himalayas.

It is great that you have been able to return to work.  I retired shortly after diagnosis from a job that I loved and thought I may never retire.  I love retirement though and now can't imagine even seeing one client let alone a caseful!!!  Doing a 10k run sounds like quite a challenge.  If you are doing it to raise funds for the NAC, I will be happy to sponsor you.

Best wishes to you and your loved ones fir a merry Christmas and a peaceful and joyous new year.

Helen
Living life with Amyloidosis

Lesley

• Reason for joining: Amyloid patient (AL)
  • Diagnosed: December 2012
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 07:28:40 pm »
What lovely positive posts
X