Author Topic: Photos needed please for unique fundraising venture  (Read 8405 times)

Chloe Bullock

Photos needed please for unique fundraising venture
« on: January 09, 2017, 11:18:36 pm »
Hi Everyone,

I've not posted on this forum before, despite having read lots of the posts and followed it on and off since the beginning.  I am the daughter of someone who's name will be familiar to most users of the forum, even if you don't know her personally - Pat Pinchin.  The reason for this post is to ask for photos for a unique online fundraiser that I'm planning. 

Some may be aware of an on-going fundraising venture I set up a few years ago called Bespoke Poems in aid of Amyloidosis.  It does pretty much what it says on the tin, and I write bespoke poems for people - usually to give to loved ones as gifts for special occasions like big birthdays or anniversaries - in exchange for a donation to the UCL Amyloidosis research fund. 

One poem that I wrote a while back is about the disease itself, and I have now had it recorded in rap form, with the hope of catching people's attention online and getting them to donate online or by text message.  My mission now is to collect photographs to create a visual to go with the recorded poem.  I would like to collate photos of sufferers of Amyloidosis and their families, for a simple slide show to go with my soundtrack of the rap.  The idea of this is to make sure that the message is poignant and hard-hitting but also very real, and I can only achieve this with genuine photos.  I will naturally be including a photo of my own family.  The photos will need to be clear so that the people in them can easily be seen.  They could be everyday, natural photos or posed photos, happy/fun or sad/serious.  In fact the bigger variety the better.  It might be nice to also include photos of NAC staff too if anyone is willing?  I will need them to be sent to me digitally and it's important to me that you can guarantee that you have the consent of whoever appears in the photos, or parental consent if there are any children in them, especially since they will be posted online.  I don't intend to include names.

I understand this won't be for everyone, but if you are willing to take part, I will be incredibly grateful and look forward to receiving any such photographs at the email address below.  It is my aim to email a version of the completed slide show to anyone who sends me photos, before it is posted online, just to check everyone is happy with their part in it.  Please send photos to:

hellobespokepoems@gmail.com 

Below are the words of the poem/rap that will be the soundtrack to the photos:

An unusual diagnosis.
A sobering prognosis.
A rare debilitating illness.
A ferocious pathosis.
Clinically precocious.
The answers are ambiguous.
Other people are incredulous.
All so emotionally divisive.
Longing for something decisive,
instead of just derisive
to help me out of this crisis.
Don’t have room to list
all the things in life, I miss.
Has it really come to this?
Got to focus on the positive,
despite the suffering and sickliness.
A CURE for AMYLOIDOSIS
is my single biggest wish.

You can find more information about Bespoke Poems in aid of Amyloidosis on the website:

http://www.bespokepoems.com/

or the FACEBOOK page:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bespoke-Poems-in-aid-of-Amyloidosis/1407907482813486

and donations can be made here:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/bespokepoemsamyloidosis

Thank-you so much for reading.  I hope to hear from some of you soon.

Best wishes,
Chloe

patpinchin

• AL - extensive in skin. mouth + palatal nerves '04
Re: Photos needed please for unique fundraising venture
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 10:28:00 am »
Hi everyone......

Chloe's Mum here. You all know me....the one who always has a lot to say especially about fundraising for the UCL Amyloidosis Research Fund and Amyloidosis Awareness. As you would expect,  I am very proud of everything Chloe has done and continues to do to raise funds for the ARF and spread much needed awareness. Now she has two very young children, she no longer has time to train and participate in sporting events like the London Run which was her introduction to fundraising in 2010. I hope many of you here will send her a photo at the link in her post.

Chloe's simple but very poignant poem was very well received at two concerts a few years ago in aid of The UCL Amyloidosis Research Fund where it was read to hushed audiences. Copies  of the poems were given out to concert goers just before the sale of raffle tickets. This  raised large amounts of money for the ARF. I know some members here have asked Chloe to write a personal Bespoke poem for them as a gift for a special occasion. Those have been very much appreciated too, especially by the recipients. There are samples on Chloe's website or on her Facebook Page. If you are stuck for a special gift, do consider a Bespoke poem and contact Chloe. I guarantee you will not be disappointed.  See the links in her post.

I haven't heard the recorded rap yet but am very much looking forward to doing so. I think it should rap very well indeed. It was a great idea by the person who suggested it and we hope of course it will raise funds for the ARF as well as spread amyloidosis awareness. There's always a two pronged aim to fundraising for the ARF. Please do send your photo to Chloe at her link or if you have my email address please send your photo directly to me and I will forward it.

I really hope some members of our wonderful NAC team will send photos too.
Miriam please can you advise Chloe of what she should do to invite the NAC team to send a photo?
Yours would of course be most welcome as would a photo of Sir Mark. I hope he will read Chloe's post and forward his photo too.

Many thanks  :)  :)  :)  :)

« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 10:30:07 am by patpinchin »
Pat

Miriam Vered

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 08:09:31 am »
Hi Chloe and Pat - yet another wonderful Pinchin family idea for a fundraising venture!

Professor Hawkins says that you are welcome to use any staff photos that have appeared in the NAC newsletters.
You can take them from the online PDFs. Chloe, please let me know if the online PDF pictures aren't appropriate quality and I can send you the originals.

patpinchin

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 10:32:10 am »
Many thanks Miriam and Professor Hawkins.
That is very obliging.

Martin was so taken with the idea he wants to turn it into a song.  :)  :)
He has a great singing voice and would be fantastic I am sure.
Where does he get his energy from?

A man of passion when it come to raising money for amyloidosis and spreading awareness!
We need more Martins  :) :)
Pat

patpinchin

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 11:09:51 am »
Thinking about the newsletter photos Miriam, if memory serves me correctly, your photo is not among them!
If I have to have my photo on the CD, then you do too!

Be brave! I am sure you can find a nice photo of yourself to forward to Chloe? 
Please :)  :) :)

Pat

Miriam Vered

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2017, 04:42:25 am »
OK Pat, I'll send Chloe a photo.

patpinchin

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2017, 12:03:17 pm »
Great Miriam.
 Many thanks. ;)

Would be great if more folk would send Chloe their photos too.
She has had very little response to her request below. .
Come on all of you out there, send a photo please to Chloe at the link in her post below.
It's not much to ask and fundraising for Amyloidosis Research at the NAC benefits ALL of us.

Thank-you and here's hoping..... :) :) :)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 12:07:15 pm by patpinchin »
Pat

Miriam Vered

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2017, 02:52:28 pm »
I'll include a mention of this venture in the next NAC newsletter. Hopefully that will help to spread the word.

patpinchin

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2017, 05:13:36 pm »
Thank-you Miriam. A very kind thought.

I think I will copy and paste Chloe's post into a second post in the General Discussions thread where it might be read by more members. Hope that's OK.
Pat