Author Topic: mother had myloma  (Read 4040 times)

Brandon

• Reason for joining: Mother had myloma and amyloidosis
mother had myloma
« on: April 28, 2017, 04:49:31 pm »
i had blood test that showed protein levels high and light chains not normal there answer was you get these problems has you get older I am 62 years old. not knowing my mother died from myloma -amyloidosis I also get lots of chest infection to. ill at the moment, pain under the ribs sometimes?

Miriam Vered

• Administrator
Re: mother had myloma
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2017, 06:48:15 pm »
Hi Brandon,
Welcome to the forum.
If you have abnormal light chain levels you should be seen by a haematologist to rule out AL amyloidosis and other any serious conditions.
AL amyloidosis, the type of amyloidosis that may be associated with myeloma, is not an inherited condition.

Brandon

• Reason for joining: Mother had myloma and amyloidosis
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 12:43:25 pm »
hi Mirian
thanks for your reply.in myloma and amyloidosis does it effect the lungs to ?  it took the doctors three years to diagnosis my poor mum.

Miriam Vered

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 08:45:12 am »
Unfortunately, as in your mother's case, it often takes a long time until doctors diagnose amyloidosis because it is such a rare disease that many doctors see few or no patients with this condition, so it takes a long time till the doctors think of it. Also, the symptoms of amyloidosis are very non specific and may be caused by many, far more common conditions.
Amyloidosis can affect many organs in the body, including the lungs, but the chest infections and pain under the ribs you mentioned are likely to be caused by many conditions far more common than amyloidosis. Since AL amyloidosis is not hereditary, the fact that your mother had this condition does not mean you are at increased risk.