Author Topic: VALCADE  (Read 3927 times)

anna

• Reason for joining: patient
  • Diagnosed: 2 years ago approx
VALCADE
« on: December 10, 2017, 06:17:19 pm »
Hi I remember reading somewhere on the forum how some people found the injection in you tummy not so painful if its administered at a certain angle did I dream this or is it true. The first one I had was not to bad the 2nd nearly  sent me through the roof I understand different nurses have different  ways. Am getting the 3rd one on Wednesday and feeling a little nervous .Any advice would help. Thank you .

nvroberts

• Reason for joining: I have AL amyloidosis and frecently started kidney dialysis
  • Diagnosed: November 2014
Re: VALCADE
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 04:35:45 pm »
I was on Velcade for a few months and never found it very painful.  Maybe I was lucky with the nurses I had.  I hope you and your nurses settle in to a painless way of administering it.  My experience with other injections indicates going in at an angle is better. I administer aninjection myself once a month, to boost my red cell production,  into my upper arm, or my wife does it for me.  It is definitely more painful if the needle goes straight in rather than at an angle, because the needle is going deep into the muscle instead of just under the skin.

RogerS

• Reason for joining: Patient -
  • Diagnosed: December 2016
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 08:19:21 pm »
I have had lots of Velcade injections and have never found them painful.
I always have mine in my (very slight) spare tyre and the side effects do seem to vary depending depending on the exact location, angle and depth.

anna

• Reason for joining: patient
  • Diagnosed: 2 years ago approx
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 10:33:17 pm »
Thank you had my 3rd one the nurse went in at a angle and did not push the needle as deep as it could go she said there was no need to do it like that and it worked im fine it did not hurt more yipppppppes I hope i get her next week

VickyB

• Reason for joining: Patient..AL Amy .kidney, spleen, bones
  • Diagnosed: Autumn2013
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 06:50:42 pm »
Hi Anna ...I was very sensitive to the injections..sometimes absolute agony, depending on who did them..However, after a while, my "favorite" nurse told me that she gave the injections at room temperature..That if they came out of the fridge, cold , they were more painful..this, was my experience..hope it helps..

AnnR

• Reason for joining: Recently diagnosed with cardiac amyloidosis
  • Diagnosed: April 2017
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 09:07:44 pm »
Hi
I find it best to have the injections straight on and not at an angle otherwise I get a reaction and the skin peels.

gordon1119

• Reason for joining: I have AL
  • Diagnosed: August 2017
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2018, 01:25:29 pm »
The first couple of times, I ended up with a "sunburn" at the ejection site - that is what it looked and also felt like.  The oncology nurse went to a longer needle (1 inch) and lso talked to me about the angle she would use.  Minimal rash since then.  She said the 1 inch needle is more effective than the 3/4 inch (sorry - we're never did go metric!)