Author Topic: Heel Pain after Chemotherapy  (Read 1271 times)

Mark McConway

• Patient - AL Amyloidosis - Diagnosed 2011
  • Reason for joining: AL Amyloidosis Patient (Diagnosed at 47)
  • Diagnosed: March 2011
Heel Pain after Chemotherapy
« on: November 02, 2021, 07:55:26 pm »
Hi,

I'm a relapsed AL patient after 10 years remission (57years old) and have just undergone 4 cycles of chemotherapy (Dara\Bortez\Dex) and currently starting the process for a Stem Cell Transplant.

Within recent weeks, I have had excruciating pain in my heels (both feet), with symptoms similar to Plantar Fasciitis.  I have some peripheral neuropathy in my fingertips and wondered if the heel pain was associated with neuropathy in the feet.

Has anyone else had experience of this and is there a practical solution?  Given that my feet are still nephrotic and swollen, I can't wear normal shoes and have had to wear sandals for last few months.  They don't offer much support.  It's getting very difficult to walk/stand so any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

Paulhb

• Reason for joining: Patient
  • Diagnosed: Nov 2017
Re: Heel Pain after Chemotherapy
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2021, 05:25:38 pm »
Hi Mark,
This is something we both suffer from, I noticed this as an answer from another question, haven’t been there myself yet, but it might give you some answers.

“There is an online group for neuropathy that you might find helpful, it’s called ‘Stuff that Works”

EMack

• Reason for joining: AL Amyloidosis patient
  • Diagnosed: 2015
Re: Heel Pain after Chemotherapy
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2021, 09:49:54 am »
Hi Mark

Sorry to hear of your problems. I also have peripheral neuropathy in both my legs and feet and although I don't specifically get pain in my heels I do sometimes get 'electric shock' pains in my feet and have a general numbness and background pain level.

I'm afraid I can't suggest any treatments that worked, I just put up with it. However, on the subject footwear I have found Crocs to be pretty useful (I wear them indoors all the time) as they don't flex too much are easy to put on and take off and I suspect wouldn't put much pressure on your heels. They aren't attractive, though I believe are 'on trend' in some circles, but practical.

Best wishes

Eric