Author Topic: TRAVEL INSURANCE  (Read 8235 times)

Richmar

• We have two grown up children and 3 grandchildren
  • Reason for joining: wife of Richard wh has AL amyloidosis
  • Diagnosed: 15 December 2015
TRAVEL INSURANCE
« on: April 26, 2018, 10:56:26 am »
Hi everyone
Has anyone come across the folowing situation and if so what did you do about it.
Late last year I was well so booked my wife and I a short holiday and took out a pre existing insurance to cover AL Amyloidosis  should anything go wrong with my condition that may prevent us from taking our holiday.
Unfortunately it did and  I  have to started chemo again.  We have contacted the insurance company and explained the situation to them.  There response has been appauling.  In short they are saying that because, when we took out the insurance I was not on chemo so they accepted the pre existing condition but now because I will be going back on it they are indicating that they will withdraw the insurance cover.  We paid extra for the
pre-existing conditions -  I just dont understand how they can do that when they accepted the pre existing condition of AL Amyloidosis.

Has this happened to anyone else, if so what did you do.

Regards

Joca

• Reason for joining: AL amyloidosis patient: heart, bowel, neuropathy
  • Diagnosed: July 2015
Re: TRAVEL INSURANCE
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 12:48:49 pm »
This sounds like they are trying to wiggle out of their contract, something insurance companies do, sadly. I have no personal experience of this but you should try the Financial Ombudsman.
http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/consumer/complaints.htm
Best of luck with this and the chemo.
John

Chirpster

• Reason for joining: AL amyloidosis patient (heart,liver and spleen)
  • Diagnosed: October2017
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 02:41:13 pm »
Hi Richmar, Sorry to hear that you are back on chemo.
I had a similar situation last year, not the same as yours but I thought I’d mention it in case it bears any rerverlence.
In February of last year I booked a holiday to Portugal. At the time I was a bit under the weather having visited my GP’s complaining of tiredness and breathlessness and numerous other issues for the previous 12 months. I visited several of the GP’s at my surgery , nine times in total and it seemed universally agreed that I was suffering from Chronic Fatigue which is not a great influence on travel insurance. Come May my situation deteriorated and I became very insistent that my doctor do more to check for a heart condition than just the ecg they had carried out just the once in March 2016.
(There is a history of heart disease in my family) A simple bnp blood test led to a panic call into the surgery and a referral to my local hospital cardiac unit. I had to wait to undergo a lot of tests - they didn’t know what was wrong with me except that my heart was under a lot of strain. I decided to advise my insurance company at this stage and they promptly withdrew my health insurance cover.
To be fair to them they reimbursed the entire cost of the holiday minus excesses but would not consider insuring me at any premium- nor as I found out, would any other company.
Well, you know the rest, I was diagnosed with cardiac amyloidosis and now taking chemotherapy.
I don’t intend to take a holiday or even drive while on the chemo but I envisage a hefty rise in insurance premiums and restrictions when I do.
Hope things go well with you

Richmar

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 06:23:10 am »
Thanks to you both for your opinions. I think they dont understand or know enough about the condition but that said the only money they are refunding is the remaining 2 months on the insurance.  My wife wonders if it even worth taking an insurance out in the future but I'm not sure about that.  There are many questions we want answering if we can get someone that knows at the insurance company.  What would have happened if I had become ill whilst on holiday would they have withdrawn and left us high and dry.  Anyway there are letters going to the Insurance Ombudsman, Rip Off Britian and the Travel Expert, just cannt think of his name right now so we will see what they all have to say.

I hope you are dealing with your condition OK.  Take care.

David

• Reason for joining: Patient with AL Amy / Kidney involvement
  • Diagnosed: 26.2.2015
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2018, 07:57:30 am »
Hi Richmar
What sort of insurance was this ?

patpinchin

• AL - extensive in skin. mouth + palatal nerves '04
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2018, 05:02:59 pm »
Hi all interested in travel insurance,

There has been a previous forum discussion about health insurance for amyloidosis patients.

However it was nearly 3 years ago so no idea if the recommended company is still worth consideration tho’ worth a try if still in existence.

This is what was posted by Sandra Jane in 2015...

Logistics/Financial / Re: Travel Insurance
« by Sandra Jane on June 14, 2015, 10:33:21 AM »
......  you Peter and Helen.... I used World First Travel Insurance and it was very reasonable  ......

Richard and Margaret I hope what has happened to you is resolved to your satisfaction. 
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 05:06:29 pm by patpinchin »
Pat

Richmar

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2018, 06:52:34 am »
Hi David, sorry I have not replied earlier.  It was a pre-existing condition which set out all  Richards conditions and treatment but because he had a reaction to a tablet this is the problem.   Having had nurmerous conversations with the insurance company they have suggested that I put a claim in for loss of holiday and they will consider it?????

patpinchin

• AL - extensive in skin. mouth + palatal nerves '04
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2018, 07:37:41 pm »
Hi All,

When at the NAC two weeks ago I picked up a leaflet listing travel insurers for amyloidosis patients.

Miriam please would it be possible to make it available on the NAC website with a forum link?
I’m sure many would appreciate it and find it useful.

Thanks.  :)
Pat

Miriam Vered

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2018, 09:25:24 am »
The information is available on the NAC website under "travel insurance"at this link: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/amyloidosis/national-amyloidosis-centre/information-patients

Richmar

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2018, 10:37:39 am »
Thanks everyone for your information.  Following the withdrawal of our pre- existing travel insurance by the company.  We had considerable dialogue with them and they did eventually agree to pay up.

Since then we contacted our Building Society who say that they do pre-existing travel insurance if you have an account with the.It was discussed at length with them, the conditions, side effects of possible drugs and health matters in general and they are happy to insure both of us as we both have Building Society Flex Accounts and at a cost of  £90 per year.

Like all insurance companies we have to keep them updated of Richards condition so that they can adjust the insurance policy accordingly.

They sent us a policy and all relevant paperwork.  We are very happy with this and hopefully when we go away we wont need to use it but its there as a safety net.

Kind regards to everyone.