Author Topic: Parking  (Read 7652 times)

AnnR

• Reason for joining: Recently diagnosed with cardiac amyloidosis
  • Diagnosed: April 2017
Parking
« on: May 30, 2017, 08:31:07 pm »
I have now been approved for a blue badge following a very sensitive assessment by a physio. This will make life easier as I can now walk only very short distances before being out of breath, wobbly and seeing stars. I have my assessment 12-14 June and wondered if there is parking near the hospital. I will be staying with my sister and she works quite close so would it better to get a taxi?

Gary

• Married to Joanne. Have a daughter Jessica.
  • Reason for joining: AL amyloidosis patient
  • Diagnosed: March 2007
Re: Parking
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 07:52:21 pm »
Hi Ann. I would suggest a taxi. Parking is horrendous around the hospital area.
If you speak to the NAC, they can arrange for you.
Good luck
Cheers
Gary.

patpinchin

• AL - extensive in skin. mouth + palatal nerves '04
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 08:23:34 pm »

Hi Ann,

Parking at The Royal Free hospital where the NAC is located is very limited.
Advice for parking at the RF as a blue badge holder here:

https://www.royalfree.nhs.uk/contact-us/getting-to-our-hospitals/parking-at-our-hospitals/

I agree with Gary do avoid coming by car if you can. Many tests are carried out throughout the day or days if you have a two day appt. The final part of your visit with be the consultation with the Dr. That sometimes takes quite a while as can the waiting times between tests. You need to be able to be as flexible as you can during your visit. It's not really possible to know in advance what the tests' schedule will be, nor at what time you will see the Dr.

Once you are inside the hospital it is quite a long walk to the lift to the NAC unit. Lower third floor.  Help is available if you need it. Maybe your sister is coming with you? If not NAC wheelchairs are available. Ramon Lamarca Clinic appointments' Manager is the best person to advise you. His contact details are on the NAC letter. Ramon is extraordinarily helpful.
Pat

AnnR

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 08:39:49 pm »
Amazingly helpful as usual. My sister is coming with me. I can now only walk short distances very slowly but will arrive nice and early. I can see why the prognosis was so poor for this condition before treatment as I am deteriorating so fast so want to get on with treatment and all that entails asap.

Micky

• Reason for joining: Patient - ATTRwt
  • Diagnosed: Aug 2016
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 12:26:32 pm »
Anne, I have a blue badge too and have never had any trouble parking in the street at the side of the Premier Inn which is virtually opposite the hospital. It is resident's parking but if you ggogle the rules for Camden you will see that you are covered.

AnnR

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 02:54:15 pm »
Thanks Micky

Micky

• Reason for joining: Patient - ATTRwt
  • Diagnosed: Aug 2016
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2017, 01:44:30 pm »
I was at the NAC yesterday. There are 3 disabled parking bays on the main road by the cafes on the LHS (going north) about 100 yards before you turn right into the hospital and 2 more on the RHS just before you turn into the hospital. Plus my comment about the side streets.

PS I forgot you were there at the same time as me.