Author Topic: Amyloidosis and free prescription  (Read 2694 times)

Jon Reardon

• Reason for joining: To get information and support
  • Diagnosed: 17.11.2021
Amyloidosis and free prescription
« on: February 03, 2022, 02:27:45 pm »
Hi all, recently been diagnosed with amyloidosis. Still waiting for them to workout which variant it is. Does this condition qualify for free prescriptions?
Thanks in advance
Jon

Richardpreston

• Reason for joining: Patient, AL amyloidosis
  • Diagnosed: 2010
Re: Amyloidosis and free prescription
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2022, 11:58:25 am »
Hi Jon

I have been living with amyloidosis for 12 years.  I would prefer not to have it but there isn't anything I can do about that!  So we get on with a modified life.  My treatment has been fantastic but a bit frustrating at times.  One of the difficulties is that amyloidosis is still unknown to the majority of people and has cause some difficulties as it still doesn't appear on some call centre checklists.  It also causes medical issues that dont fit standard questionnaires and regulations change.  Conditions notifiable to the DVLA seemed to change at one point and it was unclear whether I needed to tell the DVLA.  Their forms made assumptions that fitted the majority but I couldn't answer the questions they asked - I had been treated in four different hospitals by three different professors and two consultants and they wanted to know what my GP thought.  Al. was resolved in the end and I still have my driving licence.

The reason I have gone through all this is to say that life has changed, it is very frustrating, the NHS is not joined up at times and takes a bit of navigating. 

I have had brilliant service from my GP practice.  In recent years I haven't seen a doctor very often but we have a fantastic practice pharmacist, nurse practitioners and health care assistants.  The have been a great source of advice on how to get the best from the NHS.  I cant walk very far and my condition did not seem to fit the blue badge criteria - until the practice nurse told me how to fill the form in.

With respect to your question have you checked.    https://services.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/check-for-help-paying-nhs-costs/start

If that doesn't help you try talking to your GP practice.

Good luck

Richard

Vivienne Gilmore

• Reason for joining: Patient - recently diagnosed with AL Amyloidosis
  • Diagnosed: officially via NAC 3rd March
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2022, 04:36:26 am »
Hi John .. I too have been recently diagnosed with AL Amyloidosis and as I am currently suffering with water retention and other issues keep needing prescriptions from the doctor so at the last appointment I asked if I could be exempt from charges and was told yes. I filled in a form at the GP surgery and the doctor signed it - I was told to tick the 'cancer' box and write Amyloidosis underneath ... I hope your doctor can do the same for you

Jon Reardon

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2022, 08:03:03 pm »
Thanks for the reply Vivienne. I will give it a shot

lynntomlin

• Reason for joining: I have AL Amyloidosis
  • Diagnosed: Jan 2019
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2022, 05:59:27 pm »
You should be able to get a Medical Exemption Certificate and your GP/Consultant should be able to give you an application form. They last for 5 years, and then you need to apply again. I'm fairly sure when I applied for mine the condition was put down as cancer and they just gave me the form when I started my first round of chemo. If you have a MacMillan nurse ask her/him.

https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/exemption-certificates/medical-exemption-certificates

Jon Reardon

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2022, 05:39:40 am »
Hi all thanks for the help. Yes I did manage to get the exemption certificate so all goo.