Author Topic: Low potassium, sodium and phosphorus diets  (Read 3256 times)

Chris Curry

• Reason for joining: I have amyloidosis (Type AL) treated successfully with stem cell rescue in 1998
  • Diagnosed: November 1994
Low potassium, sodium and phosphorus diets
« on: October 12, 2019, 01:30:55 pm »

Hi
Hi Everyone ................  I was diagnosed with AL Amyloidosis in November 1994.  I had amyloid in my kidneys and spleen. I was seen at the Hammersmith Hospital by the embryonic NAC team.  I was treated by way of a stem cell rescue transplant here in South Wales in 1998.  I am monitored annually at the NAC and to date my amyloid deposits are pretty well gone.  I am a lucky person in that respect.  I do however have chronic kidney disease, currently at stage 3b.  I am looking for cook books/diets for someone who needs a diet low in potassium, sodium and phosphorus.  I am waiting to see a renal dietitian but want to get on with cooking in this way having had an emergency admission to hospital last week with a dangerously high amount of potassium in my system.  (Hyperkalemia).  There are many books on the market but I am wondering if anyone has direct experience of any particular books.   All suggestions gratefully received.

patpinchin

• AL - extensive in skin. mouth + palatal nerves '04
Re: Low potassium, sodium and phosphorus diets
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2019, 08:24:38 pm »
Hi Chris,

I’m sorry to hear that you have hyperkalmenia. 

Whilst my potassium & phosphorus are normal, I was hospitalised with low sodium during the Christmas period. This was probably due to oedema & diruetics which meant I was losing sodium through frequent trips to the loo.

Whilst in hospital, I was advised to see a dietician. I have quite an aversion to hospitals being in them quite a lot. I did however take the advice on board by Googling foods high in sodium which was quite useful as guidance.

After reading your post, whilst I cannot personally recommend cookbooks for you, I did go to Amazon UK books. Many were listed on the subject you want, with various ratings. Plenty to choose from.

If I buy anything on-line I always read several 5 star reviews. Those usually turn out to be very reliable for guidance.
If you don’t mind shopping at Amazon, why not check out this link to low potassium/renal diet cookbooks:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=low+potassium+cook+book&i=stripbooks&crid=2Q6RQF26BYGH6&sprefix=Low+potassium+c%2Cstripbooks%2C143&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_15

Good Luck.  :)
Pat

Fran

• Reason for joining: My mother has AL amyloidosis
Re: Low potassium, sodium and phosphorus diets
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2019, 08:15:45 pm »
Hello Chris,
sorry I’m replying to your question with a question. I was wondering, what kind of symptoms can warn us of a dangerous increase in potassium? When is the value considered dangerous? My mother has AL amyloidosis, currently in remission, and has severe chronic kidney disease. Her potassium is beginning to be slightly higher than the upper limit (5.4 now, reached 5.7 only once last year then went back to normal). Her nephrologist and dietician have not prescribed a rigorous diet yet, since her values are still fairly normal. However, I would like to know what we should be looking out for. I’ll ask the nephrologist but the experience of fellow patients is always very useful…
Thank you very much in advance
Fran